A question to consider: “What’s One Thing you look for in a friend?” We’d love to hear from you! join the Intentional Living conversation at 1-888-888-1717. You can also comment on THIS PAGE (below), weigh in with your thoughts and questions on our Facebook page, and you can follow us on Twitter @TheILCenter.
From the Bible
Proverbs 17:17 describes a true friend as “always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.” (NLT)
- Love and influence each other – without controlling each other.
- They are honest with each other – without fear of rejection.
- Respect each other enough to speak the truth – and hold each other accountable.
- Don’t manipulate or play mind games to get their own way.
- Gain joy from their relationship.
- Have shared values.
Four steps you can take to improve your friendships
- Make a list of your five closest friends.
- Ask yourself these three questions: Does this relationship exhibit the characteristics of a healthy friendship?” What would make the relationship better?” What could you say to your friend to truly express how you feel?”
- Ask for God’s blessing, guidance and favor on your friendships.
- Take action on what would make the relationship better.