“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.“ — James 1:5 (NLT)
Questions to ask yourself as you consider an important decision and to discern if it is God’s Will…
- VISION: Will this decision move me closer to a life goal or toward solving a problem?
“I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.” (Philippians 3:14 NLT)
- MISSION & MOTIVATION: What is driving me to this decision?
“Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.” (Hebrews 10:24 NLT)
- INTEGRITY: Will this decision affect any commitment or vow I have made?
“Now this is our boast: Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, with integrity and godly sincerity. We have done so, relying not on worldly wisdom but on God’s grace.” (2 Corinthians 1:12 NIV)
- GOD’S WORD: Does the Bible speak to this kind of decision?
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV)
- COMMON SENSE: Will the results of this decision make sense to benefit others and/or me?
“All wisdom comes from the Lord, and so do common sense and understanding.” (Proverbs 2:6)
- CONSEQUENCES: How will myself and others be affected by this decision? “While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions” – Dr. Stephen Covey
“A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.” (Proverbs 27:12 NLT)
- CAREFUL THOUGHT: Have I really thought this decision through? “For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat and wrong” – Charles Kettering
“The prudent carefully consider their steps.” (Proverbs 14:15b NLT)
- TIMING: Is this the best time to make this decision?
“Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.” (Psalm 27:14 NLT)
- KNOWLEDGE: Do I have enough information to make this decision? “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” – Aldous Huxley
“Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him.” (James 1:5 HCSB)
- COMMITMENT: Will I commit to my decision?
“One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” And they left their nets at once and followed him.” (Mark 1:16-18)
© 2014 by Randy Carlson