I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the LORD Most High. – Psalm 7:17 NIV
If you skim through the Psalms, you’ll find there are many reasons why we ought to give thanks. There are also many reasons how to give thanks. But first. let’s look at WHY we should be thankful. The opening verse shows us that God’s righteousness is a cause for giving thanks.
- He is just: I will thank the LORD because he is just; I will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High (Psalm 7:17).
- Because He has done it: I will thank you forever, because you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly (Psalm 52:9).
- For it is good: For he has delivered me from every trouble, and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies (Psalm 54:6-7).
- He is near: We thank you, O God! We give thanks because you are near. People everywhere tell of your wonderful deeds (Psalm 75:1).
- Answered prayer: I thank you for answering my prayer and giving me victory (Psalm 118:21)!
- He is good: Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever (Psalm 118:29).
- How He made me: I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well (Psalm 139:14).
Note that we give thanks because of Who He is and because of what He has done.
Here are some of the elements for HOW we give thanks.
- All day long and forever: In God we have boasted all day long, and we will give thanks to Your name forever. (Psalm 44:8)
- Out amongst the people and nations: I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. (Psalm 57:9)
- With my whole heart: I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever. (Psalm 86:12)
- With my mouth: With my mouth I will greatly extol the LORD; in the great throng of worshipers I will praise him. For he stands at the right hand of the needy, to save their lives from those who would condemn them. (Psalm 109:30-21)
- Wherever I’m going: Open for me the gates where the righteous enter, and I will go in and thank the LORD. (Psalm 118:19)
- Living as I should: I will offer you a sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the LORD. I will fulfill my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people— in the house of the LORD in the heart of Jerusalem. Praise the LORD! (Psalm 116:17-19)
- Fulfilling my vows: As I learn your righteous regulations, I will thank you by living as I should! I will obey your decrees. Please don’t give up on me! (Psalm 119:7)
Why are you thankful? What one thing are you thankful about today? Write them down. Share them!
Consider the HOW of Psalm 57 I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations.
What if you were thankful, in your attitude and in actions and with your whole heart? You might get noticed. And if they asked you, “Why are you so thankful,” then you can tell them why. It could be a great opportunity to share Jesus with them.
Read the first blog in this series, The Preparation for Thanks