“Love is patient, love is kind.”— 1 Corinthians 13:4
Do you have someone who drains the life right out of you? Are you tempted NOT to answer when their name pops up on caller ID? Here are ten inTENtional steps you can take to help you Love that Emotionally Weak person in your life.
- Pray for wisdom and patience.
- Enter and exit conversations gently. Confrontation is probably not the best way to proceed. Assure your love and care for them as you listen without interrupting.
- Realize you can’t change them… so don’t try! The goal is to love them, not to change them.
- Deal with issues of “feelings” face to face, not by email or text. Written communication is good for facts, but feelings need a “face to face” encounter so you can communicate caring body language.
- Avoid triggers. You probably know their “hot buttons.” Don’t push them!
- Focus on solutions, not problems.
- Establish boundaries of space and time.
- Leave outcomes to God. You can’t make everyone OK.
- Ask yourself….. How am I emotionally weak? What are my triggers?
- Approach with humility. God loves them as much as He loves you.
“Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.” — Romans 12:10
© 2015 by Randy Carlson